- 7:26 PM mynameisbrandon – Welcome all…it will be a bit of time before Matt Chandler starts speaking. Things kick-off at 7:30pm EST and then there is some singing before he takes the stage. I will keep you posted.
- 7:56 PM mynameisbrandon – Matt is taking the stage. Are you ready?
- 7:59 PM mynameisbrandon – Welcome! If you like, post a comment with your name and your location. And…as I post…jump in the conversation by making comments.
- 8:01 PM mynameisbrandon – Matt Chandler’s strategy for spiritual and numerical growth: fast and pray and beg God a lot.
- 8:03 PM mynameisbrandon – At The Village (where Matt preaches) the pastors don’t baptize. The person who led the other to Christ does the baptizing.
- 8:03 PM Kim – Louisiana
- 8:03 PM mynameisbrandon – @Kim Welcome Kim!
- 8:05 PM mynameisbrandon – Most of the people who are baptized have never heard the real Gospel. They had heard the gospel of “be right,” “be moral,” and more.
- 8:07 PM mynameisbrandon – This massive ballroom is FULL of people. I bet there are 1,500 folks in here.
- 8:08 PM mynameisbrandon – The Law wasn’t given so that we could obey it. The Law was given so that we would realize that we can’t make it on our own.
- 8:08 PM mynameisbrandon – Thus, the Cross.
- 8:11 PM mynameisbrandon – I Corinthians 15:1-2…the Gospel is for the past, present, and future.
- 8:12 PM mynameisbrandon – Past = “which you received.”
Present = “in which you stand.”
Future = “which you are being saved, if you hold fast…”
- 8:13 PM mynameisbrandon – Galatians 1:8-9…there is no other gospel.
- 8:16 PM mynameisbrandon – Matt is spending a lot of time laying the foundational truth that there is no “other” gospel.
- 8:17 PM mynameisbrandon – He is laying the Scriptures on thick…the most I have heard today. It’s refreshing.
- 8:17 PM Kim – by saying “spending a lot of time”, I do believe you mean “unpacking” it. 🙂
- 8:18 PM mynameisbrandon – @Kim Yes…not just one passage to make his point…3 or 4!
- 8:18 PM mynameisbrandon – Colossians 1:13-20
- 8:21 PM mynameisbrandon – “Shaquille O’Neill does a dance when he dunks, like he did something. He doesn’t do anything when he dunks…he is 7’3″. Make a free throw, brother, and then you can dance!”
- 8:21 PM mynameisbrandon – That’s hilarious!
- 8:21 PM Michael – love that it is relevant yet still lead by heavy scripture
- 8:22 PM mynameisbrandon – @Michael Yes, me too! Chandler is one of my favorite preacher-guys.
- 8:23 PM mynameisbrandon – You have a holy, perfect, demanding-perfection God.
And you have people who are, by nature, wicked.
And then…you have Jesus!
- 8:25 PM mynameisbrandon – Matt is on a different level: he is using words like meta-narrative, moral deism, and stuff.
- 8:27 PM mynameisbrandon – All things in our lives should roll up into worship. Food, drink, pleasure, and so forth.
- 8:28 PM mynameisbrandon – God intended it to be that way…but sin entered the picture and fractured everything.
- 8:29 PM mynameisbrandon – Now…instead of all things rolling up into worship, they terminate themselves. Food, instead of being worship, becomes gluttony. Wine, instead of being worship, becomes drunkenness.
- 8:31 PM Kim – true.
- 8:33 PM mynameisbrandon – Now, with the gospel in mind, it becomes clear that our role now is as an agent of reconciliation.
- 8:34 PM mynameisbrandon – And where we live, what we do, our physical features, and our unformed substance is all given to us by God for the purpose of this reconciliation.
- 8:35 PM mynameisbrandon – Please be aware of pendulum swinging gospel reductionism. (Those are big words!)
- 8:38 PM mynameisbrandon – Avoid the gospel becoming extremely individualistic. When this happens, our relationship with God becomes personal and private instead of personal and public.
- 8:38 PM Brian Mowers – @mynameisbrandon Yeah, but good big word.
- 8:38 PM Kim – @mynameisbrandon can spell! this is a good thing! keep it up!
- 8:38 PM mynameisbrandon – @Kim LOL…thanks!
- 8:39 PM mynameisbrandon – We have to challenge people to understand work, neighborhood, and play all in light of the gospel.
- 8:42 PM mynameisbrandon – Matt’s plea: We need to learn to be phenomenol leaders…but we need to make sure that we lead people to the true gospel.
- 8:43 PM Brian Mowers – @mynameisbrandon Amen!
- 8:43 PM mynameisbrandon – Please help the poor, serve the oppressed, reclaim the arts, redeem technology…but do it all with the gospel in view.
- 8:44 PM mynameisbrandon – This session is wrapping up.
- 8:45 PM mynameisbrandon – Thanks for popping in and chatting. Things fire back up tomorrow morning at 8:30am EST with Andy Stanley and things are just gonna go crazy from then on. Make sure you check my blog at ( http://www.mynameisbrandon.com ) and my Twitter ( http://www.twitter.com/mynameisbrandon ) for details.
- 8:45 PM Brian Mowers – Thanks Brandon!
- 8:46 PM mynameisbrandon – @Brian Mowers You’re welcome. Thanks for hanging out! Come back tomorrow!
- 8:47 PM mynameisbrandon – Matt prays with his eyes open. I love it.
- 8:48 PM mynameisbrandon – That’s it, friends. See you tomorrow!
- 8:52 PM mynameisbrandon – Just finished live blogging for the night. Now I am heading to a #bloggersmeetup. #CAT09 #fb
- 10:14 PM jdchristy – I like to pray with my Eyes open too, but never did in public because I wasn’t sure it was appropriate.
- 10:14 PM Kim – thx!