- 9:09 AM mynameisbrandon – And we’re live!
- 9:13 AM mynameisbrandon – The church needs to shift how we view the family if we want to reach the next generation.
- 9:14 AM mynameisbrandon – Reggie is a leader in reaching the next generation.
- 9:14 AM mynameisbrandon – Although SOME of us have been influenced by the church, ALL of us have been influenced by the family.
- 9:15 AM mynameisbrandon – If we can figure out how to influence the family, we can influence in an exponential way.
- 9:17 AM mynameisbrandon – This auditorium is packed out…I am guessing 800 people.
- 9:17 AM mynameisbrandon – Welcome everyone! Post a comment with your name and where you are watching from!
- 9:19 AM mynameisbrandon – Reggie is telling a story about rollerblading. That’s funny coming from a very bald guy.
- 9:22 AM mynameisbrandon – We love to hold up the image of what we think the family should be…but if we get under the surface, we will find all kinds of issues.
- 9:23 AM mynameisbrandon – Reggie’s microphone is popping. He is walking around light-footed. Every time he gets ready to say something important, it crackles. Hilarious.
- 9:24 AM mynameisbrandon – He is showing us various pictures of families…in frames…and then placing them on a table, like a family photo bragging spot. He is talking about the various “portraits” we have of families.
- 9:27 AM mynameisbrandon – Feel free to comment and interact. I can “approve” your comments in real time and we can have a good old-fashioned give-and-take.
- 9:28 AM mynameisbrandon – Reggie has one picture he keeps going back to as “the normal family.” Then, he holds up other family portraits that are anything from normal.
- 9:28 AM mynameisbrandon – Those who are not normal would have a hard time achieving “a normal family” concept.
- 9:30 AM cyb0lt – Saw Reggie give this talk at the Orange Conference. Very powerful examples of what “the normal family” is.
- 9:31 AM mynameisbrandon – @cyb0lt Yes…he is bringing up some great points.
- 9:32 AM mynameisbrandon – “If we hold too tightly to an ideal picture of ‘normal family,’ we set most families up to become disillusioned.”
- 9:32 AM cyb0lt – Have you read Think Orange yet? A must for anyone in #kidmin.
- 9:33 AM mynameisbrandon – @cyb0lt I haven’t yet…but after this chat, it would be at the top of my list.
- 9:33 AM mynameisbrandon – Is there a picture of “a normal family” in the Bible?
- 9:34 AM mynameisbrandon – God never really gives us a picture of “a normal/ideal family” in the Bible.
- 9:35 AM mynameisbrandon – Maybe God is trying to tell a story through our non-normal families. Maybe he is setting the stage for a bigger lesson.
- 9:35 AM mynameisbrandon – “Your calling as a leader should not be to get families to conform to a common picture of family.” Your calling is not to build better families…or bigger churches. Our calling is to engage people into a relationship with God.
- 9:36 AM mynameisbrandon – We need to leverage the family to draw them into a relationship with God.
- 9:38 AM mynameisbrandon – Every parent, every family can use the story of their lives to show a generation who God is.
- 9:39 AM mynameisbrandon – Parents don’t need a better picture, they need a bigger story.
- 9:40 AM mynameisbrandon – The current system of a “normal family” or “standard family” sets most of us up for failure as mothers and fathers.
- 9:42 AM mynameisbrandon – “God is at work telling a story of restoration and redemption through your family.”
- 9:42 AM mynameisbrandon – “Never buy into the myth that you need to become the ‘right’ kind of parent before God can use you in your children’s lives.”
- 9:43 AM mynameisbrandon – “Instead, learn to cooperate with whatever God desires to do in your heart today so your children will have a front row seat to the grace and goodness of God.”
- 9:43 AM mynameisbrandon – God uses authentic, broken people in His stories and messages.
- 9:45 AM mynameisbrandon – If we only speak from our perfection, our accomplishments…then people will not relate with us as leaders.
- 9:45 AM mynameisbrandon – If we speak from our brokenness and authenticity, people can get on board!
- 9:47 AM mynameisbrandon – Reggie is teaching out of Deuteronomy now. When is the last time you read that book of the Bible?
- 9:48 AM mynameisbrandon – Moses speaks in Deuteronomy to parents and instructs them on how to transfer their faith to the next generation.
- 9:49 AM mynameisbrandon – (We have lots of people watching! Feel free to introduce yourself and make some comments!)
- 9:50 AM mynameisbrandon – 5 Things in Deuteronomy 6 for families:
- 9:51 AM mynameisbrandon – 1) We need to “imagine the end.”
Remember that it begins with God and, most importantly, ends with God. It is all about a relationship with God in the end.
- 9:54 AM mynameisbrandon – 2) We need to “fight for the heart.”
In Deut. 6, it’s the first time that obedience is connected to loving God.
“Love the Lord your God with all your heart…”
- 9:55 AM mynameisbrandon – The behavior of our children is not as important as our relationship with our kids and the relationship they have with God.
- 9:56 AM mynameisbrandon – 3) We have to “make it personal.”
“These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts.” (Deut. 6:6)
This isn’t just about our kids…this is about us, too.
- 9:57 AM dadrowles – Watching from Sanford NC,best I can do since work has kept me in NC this year
- 9:57 AM mynameisbrandon – @dadrowles Welcome aboard! I love NC. Have family in Raleigh.
- 9:58 AM gretchengrude – thankful for the “no normal family” thing 🙂
- 9:58 AM mynameisbrandon – @gretchengrude Hey Gretchen! ABSOLUTELY! This is bringing me great comfort.
- 9:58 AM dadrowles – Sanford is south and west just down number 1
- 9:59 AM mynameisbrandon – 4) We have to “create a rhythm.”
Deut. 6:7 teaches us that teaching our families is a day-in, day-out, everyday kind of thing.
- 10:02 AM mynameisbrandon – 5) We must “widen the circle.”
Notice in Deut. 6, it wasn’t just the parents teaching their children about faith. It was the entire community!
- 10:03 AM mynameisbrandon – Hilary Clinton was right…it takes a village to raise a child! (This is my thought!)
- 10:04 AM mynameiskeri – @mynameisbrandon Good morning. Looks like a good session to be at today. 🙂
- 10:04 AM mynameisbrandon – @mynameiskeri Hey love! Yep, this is a great session. Very practical for us!
- 10:05 AM mynameisbrandon – We CANNOT be about the “picture” our family is showing…we have to be about the STORY that God is telling through our family.
- 10:05 AM mynameiskeri – @mynameisbrandon Good. I’ll expect detailed notes upon your arrival home. 😉
- 10:05 AM mynameisbrandon – @mynameiskeri These ARE your detailed notes! 🙂
- 10:07 AM mynameisbrandon – Who is the next national entity to rise up and influence the family?
It MUST BE the church.
- 10:07 AM dadrowles – this should work better now that I signed in?
- 10:07 AM mynameisbrandon – @dadrowles Signing in is good…but not necessary. Glad to see you’ve got it, though!
- 10:09 AM mynameisbrandon – Reggie is praying to close out the session. Time for a short break…check back on my Twitter and blog for the next session…around 1pm EST.
- 10:10 AM dadrowles – who is up at 1?
- 10:10 AM mynameisbrandon – Well, at 1pm are Labs. I have my choice of 4 or 5.
- 10:11 AM dadrowles – make a good choice, I will check back about 1
- 10:12 AM mynameisbrandon – @dadrowles Sounds good.
- 10:12 AM mynameisbrandon – See you all in a few hours!!!
- 10:13 AM mynameisbrandon – Just finished live-blogging experience of Pre-Lab #2 @ #CAT09. Will post in on blog in a bit. Check back at 1pm EST for next Lab live-blog.